Uhrzeit: 13:00 - 18:00 Uhr, bzw. 09:00 - 12:45 Uhr
Veranstaltungstitel: “I want so much for my work to grow out of the material…” Emil Nolde’s Painting Technique
Veranstalterkategorie: BMBF, Förderprojekte
Veranstalter: Verbundprojekt „NOLDE: Kunsttechnologische Forschungen zum Werk Emil Noldes“
Mehr zur Veranstaltung
The lectures will highlight and summarize the recent project outcome giving a comprehensive overview on the various technological and material aspects of Nolde`s artistic process highlighted on numerous paintings from all phases of his long working life. Q&A Sessions between the lectures will offer time and space for discussions with the speakers.
Topics to be covered are:
- Introduction into Emil Nolde`s biography and the Nolde Foundation Seebüll
- Art-technological archival research and Nolde`s atelier estate
- choice of painting supports and stretching
- the use of white and coloured grounds and their chronology
- characteristics of Nolde`s multi-level pictorial composition
- the artist`s broad span of painting techniques, tools and surfaces
- characteristics of his late works and medial transfer from watercolour into oil
- the paint producer Fritz Behrendt from Grafrath, his products and company history
- the development of Nolde`s pigment palette over 5 decades
- binding media analyses on paintings and paint tubes from the artist`s atelier estate
- changes of format and reworking of paintings by Emil Nolde
- finish of paintings and frames
The speakers of the Lecture Days – conservators, art historians and scientists – are researchers of the three partner institutions as well as from the collaborating universities forming the core of the interdisciplinary project team on Nolde`s painting technique and artist`s materials.
Astrid Becker, Stiftung Seebüll Ada und Emil Nolde
Silvia Castro and Heike Schreiber, Hamburger Kunsthalle
Patrick Dietemann, Irene Glanzer, Hanna Kirst, Heike Stege and Jeanine Walcher, all Doerner Institut, Bavarian State Painting Collections, München
Manuela Hörmann, formerly Technische Universität München
Sebastian Bosch, Universität Hamburg
For further information, please, download the first announcement here.
The detailed programme and schedule can be downloaded here.