Uhrzeit: 12:15 - 13:45 Uhr
Veranstaltungstitel: International responses to Putin’s aggression: How effective are military deterrence, economic sanctions, and diplomacy?
Veranstalter: Interdisziplinäres Forschungszentrum Ostseeraum (IFZO) an der Uni Greifswald
The international community is struggling to find the best answers to Putin’s attack on Ukraine. The European Union, NATO, and member states have responded with diplomatic efforts, economic sanctions, weapons support, and increased military presence in the Baltic and Eastern European states. How will the current measures likely affect the behavior of Putin’s regime? This roundtable discusses the different foreign policy tools based on insights from previous research. We evaluate under what conditions deterrence and sanctions can be successful and how civil society and public opinion in an autocratic political system can impact their effectiveness.
The event will be held as a digital roundtable on March 9, 2022 - from 12:15 to 13:45
- Dr. Sabine Otto | Department for Political Science and Communication Studies, University of Greifswald & Department of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala University
- Dr. Espen Geelmuyden Rød | Department of Peace and Conflict Research, Uppsala University
- Dr. Andris Banka | Interdisciplinary Centre for Baltic Sea Region Research, University of Greifswald
- Natalia Iost | IRTG Baltic Peripeties, University of Greifswald
- Moderation: Prof. Margit Bussmann | Department for Political Science and Communication Studies, University of Greifswald